Trading Dreams

As you may have already read, on Saturday was our 5 year anniversary.  It was momentous.  5 years... now that's a milestone!

Two years ago, I decided I wanted to do something amazing to celebrate this milestone.  Something spectacular.  Something grand.

I felt I NEEDED a do-over after our horrible honeymoon.

I had BIG plans for our 5 year anniversary.  But as time went on, my plans began to diminish and change.
I wanted a 2 week cruise in the Mediterranean.
Then I wanted a week long driving trip through California.
Then I wanted a week long trip to the mountains of North Carolina.
Then I wanted a weekend in New York.
Then I wanted a weekend cruise to the Bahamas.
Then I wanted a 4 day beach vacation here, in Miami.
Finally I just begged for ONE night away.  Just one.

You see, 2 years ago we were in a completely different place than where we're at today.
We were living in Greenville.  Now we're in Miami.
Greenville cost of living is reasonable.  Miami cost of living is ridiculous.
We had a low rent payment.  Now we're buying a house.
We had one baby.  Now we have two.

Things are different, and that's ok.  Actually it's better than ok... it's fantastic!

While at times I feel like screaming at Mauricio's... frugality (for lack of a different word), I am thankful that he's not impulsive or frivolous like I am.  If it wasn't for his painfully strict budget, we wouldn't be buying a house.

I realized I would have to trade my dream of the perfect vacation for the dream of a home in which to raise my family.

It's certainly not an even trade.  This side comes out winning ten times over!

So I guess we'll just take all those fabulous vacations when we're retired.  Good thing we had our kids young!

3 comments:

Callie said...

I love this post! It sounds so familiar. Derek and I wanted to go to Italy for our 5 year anniversary, but I think it's safe to say we won't be making it there next year. But it's okay. Like you said, plans change, but that's okay! I'm so looking forward to retirement too. :-)

Ashley said...

That is our boat too! We had an amazing honeymoon to HI and after we decided every five year we would return. Well, I never landed my dream job, we spent $$$ on infertility and now spend $$$ on daycare for twins, so we went out to dinner, lol! Have fun on your night out!

Danielle-Marie said...

Oh okay, so we don't have the exact same wedding anniversary but pretty close!

I am so you and Ryan is so Mauricio. It drives me nuts too but at the same time I am also very thankful for Ryan keeping us on track!

I totally agree that becoming a home owner exceeds a vacation 10 fold! So much freedom and that house is ALL yours. Great outlook you have!