Balloons Fly to Jesus



We went to Red Robin the other day for lunch, (Yummm), and while we were there, we got the obligatory balloons for each of the children.  This is a rare treat.  Although we often blow up balloons in the house for the kids, having floating balloons are a new kind of wonder for them.

They were thrilled to have the balloons and in the car Marco proceded to bang the balloon around while Jonas fussed every time it drifted from him.

As we got out of the car, I instructed Marco, "hold on tightly to the balloon or else it'll fly away and go be with Jesus." to which he surprisingly responded, "I want it to go with Jesus".

I didn't think he know what this meant... so I told him that he didn't really want that and to head on inside.  When we went inside, he continued telling me that he wanted to give the balloon to Jesus.  He was insisting on it.

Ok, I thought, let's do this.

So we went outside and I told him, "If you want to give the balloon to Jesus, you just let it go".  And he did.

I waited... 1...2...3...4... and as he saw it begin to drift higher and higher and farther and farther, he had a sense of panic!

"Noooo, go get it!  I want it back!  I don't want to give the balloon to Jesus!  That's MY balloon!!!" Cry, cry, cry.

We walked back inside a little defeated.  I calmly explained to him that when you let a balloon go, you can't get it back... this might be a great lesson for older kids on things like how actions have consequences, but it was lost on my 2 year old.

But then he noticed that Jonas' balloon still loomed in our house.  Mocking him.  Jonas still had his balloon and Marco didn't.  Nanny nanny boo boo.

So I figured, eh, what the heck, let's give that one to Jesus too.  Jonas wont know the difference... when he wakes from his nap he'll say, "balloon?  What balloon?".

And we walked back outside to released the last balloon into the heavens.

3 comments:

Danielle-Marie said...

Haha, that's cute. Lesson learned eh? We were given ONE balloon with helium in it a couple weeks ago when they opened a Dollar Tree downtown. ONE balloon. TWO kids. As soon as the kids went down for nap I cut it and threw it in the garbage. It wasn't worth the fighting.

Callie said...

Oh, that's cute! As I was reading this I kept thinking that this is a perfect analogy for giving our problems to Jesus - "you just let {them} go". . .

Helô Laguna said...

Muito bom!
Marco jamais esquecerá dessa lição tão bonita...