I came across the perfect curriculum and got started right away.
First I hit up Target and bought some supplies. You know, the basics: crayons, paint, brushes, sharpies, highlighters, glue sticks, etc... What is it about fresh school supplies that makes you feel like you can tackle on the world?! (ahhh, I'm a nerd).
Then I printed Week 1 lessons from the curriculum and the accompanying coloring sheets. I needed to have it in my hand in order to make notes, cross out, and get a real feel for it.
It can be a little overwhelming to start. I had 16 pages in my hand and I didn't know where to begin. I knew I wasn't going to be able to follow the curriculum to the days that were already outlined, so the first thing I did was forget about the written "days". I would build my own days.
As I looked through each lesson, individually, I had to decide if it was suitable for both children to participate OR if this was an activity I had to reserve for just Marco. I also had to decide which activities we were not going to do at all because it was something we did anyway (go to the library) or something I KNEW my kids wouldn't even attempt (bobbing for apples). Once I had labeled each activity as such, I started to put them together.
I decided it would be best for me to do 1-2 activities with both children, then put Jonas down for a nap, and complete the day with only Marco before his nap. So I had to rearrange the order of some of the lessons so that they follow along that plan.
Then I put it all onto a spread sheet so that I could see a day's work at a glance and go back to the curriculum guide for the details. I color coded it so I can also see at a glance if it is an activity for both boys or just for Marco.
Then I went onto the site for my local library and reserved 5 of the accompanying literature books to be picked up together. This way, I don't have to do the searching while at the library with 2 wild boys! It'll be ready for me when I get there!
The way I have broken it down here, I'll be doing 3 lessons a day, 3 days per week, so this will take me 2 weeks to complete.
Doing all of this took me less about an hour.
During another nap time, I went through each lesson and prepared all of the manipulatives that need to be pre-made so that I'll have everything for the entire two weeks ready to go in my folder.
This took a little longer... about 2 hours. It's not difficult, but tedious... a lot of cutting, coloring and laminating. I've been laminating using contact paper and I'm really happy with the results... everything is sturdy and nice. I'm only laminating the things I think will be used more in other lessons and weeks, such as the number cards... that way I don't have to make them ever again (hopefully).
Good thing I only have my two boys with me for all of this because, really, I don't make pretty letters, or apples, or cut straight. But they don't care if my apples look like apples, or pumpkins or tomatos! Whew!
I still have a few more things to make, which I don't have all the supplies for, but that's ok.
I'm not going to be able to begin my teaching schedule until I move into our new house. With all the hands on, crafty, painting activities, I don't feel good about doing that at my in-law's house... just in case, ya know!
Stay tuned... we've only just begun!