Homeschooling: Pre Planning

I shared with you last week that we have decided to homeschool Marco for K3 instead of sending him to school.
I came across the perfect curriculum and got started right away.

First I hit up Target and bought some supplies. You know, the basics: crayons, paint, brushes, sharpies, highlighters, glue sticks, etc... What is it about fresh school supplies that makes you feel like you can tackle on the world?!  (ahhh, I'm a nerd).

Then I printed Week 1 lessons from the curriculum and the accompanying coloring sheets.  I needed to have it in my hand in order to make notes, cross out, and get a real feel for it.

It can be a little overwhelming to start.  I had 16 pages in my hand and I didn't know where to begin.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to follow the curriculum to the days that were already outlined, so the first thing I did was forget about the written "days".  I would build my own days.

As I looked through each lesson, individually, I had to decide if it was suitable for both children to participate OR if this was an activity I had to reserve for just Marco.  I also had to decide which activities we were not going to do at all because it was something we did anyway (go to the library) or something I KNEW my kids wouldn't even attempt (bobbing for apples).  Once I had labeled each activity as such, I started to put them together.

I decided it would be best for me to do 1-2 activities with both children, then put Jonas down for a nap, and complete the day with only Marco before his nap.  So I had to rearrange the order of some of the lessons so that they follow along that plan.

Then I put it all onto a spread sheet so that I could see a day's work at a glance and go back to the curriculum guide for the details.  I color coded it so I can also see at a glance if it is an activity for both boys or just for Marco.
Then I went onto the site for my local library and reserved 5 of the accompanying literature books to be picked up together.  This way, I don't have to do the searching while at the library with 2 wild boys!  It'll be ready for me when I get there!

The way I have broken it down here, I'll be doing 3 lessons a day, 3 days per week, so this will take me 2 weeks to complete. 


Doing all of this took me less about an hour.

During another nap time, I went through each lesson and prepared all of the manipulatives that need to be pre-made so that I'll have everything for the entire two weeks ready to go in my folder. 

This took a little longer... about 2 hours.  It's not difficult, but tedious... a lot of cutting, coloring and laminating.  I've been laminating using contact paper and I'm really happy with the results... everything is sturdy and nice.  I'm only laminating the things I think will be used more in other lessons and weeks, such as the number cards... that way I don't have to make them ever again (hopefully). 

Good thing I only have my two boys with me for all of this because, really, I don't make pretty letters, or apples, or cut straight.  But they don't care if my apples look like apples, or pumpkins or tomatos!  Whew! 

I still have a few more things to make, which I don't have all the supplies for, but that's ok.  

I'm not going to be able to begin my teaching schedule until I move into our new house.  With all the hands on, crafty, painting activities, I don't feel good about doing that at my in-law's house... just in case, ya know!

Stay tuned... we've only just begun! 




2 comments:

Christy Dawson-Rodriguez said...

This is what I will probably end up soon with Lucas, I'm glad I can read about this before hand. It's a little daunting to think of, but at least I have a few years to wrap my head around it. You're doing great work, cousin!

Allie said...

Okay so I ttally love the way u are spreadng the lessons out! I was stressing today thinkng about the best way to tackle lessons with both or just vincent? Ahhh! I love school supplies too! I am so glad I have u to follow lol, I need some help...aka a kick in the rear! :)