Homeschooling

Early in January, I had decided that it was time for me to find a school for Marco to go to in the Fall. He would be going into PK3 and I was ready to release him a bit.

I decided to enroll him in a local Christian school that had a 3 day half day program. So he'd be going Monday-Wednesday-Friday from 8-12. I only wanted him to go 3 days because I didn't want to separate him from Jonas so abruptly. They're best friends and they're pretty attached to each other.

One day I was talking to two ladies that homeschool their kids and the subject came up. When I told them that I didn't think I had the patience to do it, they said that they didn't either but that God equipped them for it. Then one of them said that when you make a decision to homeschool, you don't have to decide then and there to do it all the way through high school graduation... You can choose to go year by year. I really liked that. So often we feel like we have to make all of the decisions for our kids RIGHT NOW... But we don't. We can "play it by ear".

But even after our conversation, I said hellz no... I want my freedom. I want to go to the grocery store or the doctor with only one child.

And then during the Bible Study of Jonah that I was taking this summer, Priscilla Shirer said something to me during her DVD lesson. It was like she may as well had said, "Nicole, are you listening?". She said, "maybe God is calling you to homeschool when you just thought you were about to have some freedom for the first time". I looked around the room and put my head down "no God, not me...".

Then we bought our house, and we went from saving every penny to spending every penny overnight. A few days after the close, Mauricio turned to me and said, "I think you need to withdrawal Marco from the preschool you enrolled him into... It's just an unnecessary expense that we don't need to take on right now." to which I responded, "well, he's already 3, so I want him to do something..." and them he said what I had been running from all along, "why don't you homeschool him". Hmmm? Come again?

But in my experience, running from God and going against your husband does not yield the best results, so I submitted to both of them. I called the school the very next day and explained our circumstance and withdrew him from the program.

I also spent most of the afternoon researching PK3 curriculum. It's very limited and sometimes expensive. I also know that if I tried to make up my own curriculum, I'd get frustrated because there's a lot of prep time and not a lot of do time. And truthfully, I'm just not that creative Finally, I found the one!
What I love about it is that it's very versatile and fool proof. There are step by step instructions for materials, preparation and instruction. There are 6 subjects per day; English, Literature, Pre-Math, Motor Skills, Science and Art. And sometimes one or two are switched out for Social Studies or Music.

The curriculum has been laid out to be covered over the course of 26 weeks, one week for every letter of the alphabet. 5 days a week with 6 lessons per day! That's a whopping 780 complete lessons!

So because it's so extensive and because I plan to include Jonas in a lot of the lessons, I'll be cutting it in half and doing 3 lessons per day. At this rate it'll take me 2 weeks to complete each letter. And an entire year (52 weeks) to complete the whole curriculum!

Will I be permanently homeschooling the boys? Will Marco go to PK4 next fall? Honestly, I don't know. I don't have the answer to any of these questions. For now, I know that this is what I'm supposed to be doing.

And I'm gonna do it. I'm really going to try and stick with the plan and get these boys learning together.

I'm encouraged. And excited. Now I've got to do a little preplanning and we'll be ready to get started as soon as we move into our new home!

Stay tuned for updates!

8 comments:

Allie said...

Love this! Love you for doing it! What plan are you going with!? I totally have not decided yet! I just love the whole play it by ear mentality! So stinking true! I am glad we have each other to chat about it with! Sounds like all is going well! Keep it up mama!!! xoxoxoxo

Christy Dawson-Rodriguez said...

I was thinking about doing the same thing!

Teri said...

I'm going to be homeschooling my 3 yr old also. Good luck.

Danielle-Marie said...

Where I live we don't really consider pre-school a necessity. Everybody goes to kindergarten of course but for the most part, kids are either at home or in daycare until then. That said, I've decided to enroll Landon into pre-school for September. I think he could use it to prepare him for kindergarten next year. He's VERY attached to me, a little behind, but he also LOVES to play with other kids. He's a monkey see, monkey do type of boy and I think he'll catch on to potty training more permanently if he's in preschool.

I think it's great you're homeschooling to start. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your family and the future too. If you do decide to exclusively homeschool the kids you and Allie could exchange notes! Please continue to blog about your homeschooling adventures!

Amelia said...

Hi Nicole! Have you ordered/received the preschool curriculum yet? It sounds great, just curious if you've been able to check it out after ordering.

My son was enrolled in preschool but now we are moving in less than 2 weeks (registration was in March...before we had even decided to sell our house). He receives speech services through the district (which will transfer to the new school district) but preschool in our new area is so much more expensive than where we are moving from. I'm considering doing a preschool curriculum at home (and he can still receive speech services through the district).

Hubby and I have actually discussed homeschooling both kids, but with the move it's been a bit chaotic. Our daughter will start kindergarten in September (and our son is just a year younger and would start K fall of 2013) but if we can get things figured out then we may start next fall with both of them.

I follow both yours and Allie's blogs so I look forward to hearing how things are going with both of you and your kiddos and homeschooling :-)

Mrs. Patty Soto said...

http://www.holyspiritledhomeschooling.net/2012/08/free-instant-download-free-frugal-homeschool-planning-pack/

Nicole, I saw this link and thought of you and your little ones in your homeschooling! Good luck :)

Callie said...

Good for you for listening to the Lord's prompting on this Nicole! And that's a good point about just taking it year-by-year. Makes it a lot less overwhelming to start. Sounds like a good curriculum too!

Shawna said...

Sounds fun! I don't put a lot of stock in preschool---I don't really think it's all that necessary and I'm just sending my LO because it's cheap and gives me a couple hours to run errands haha. But I think it's a great time to test out whether homeschooling works for you because if it's a huge failure you really haven't set him back at all in my opinion---he's still young! :-) And if it's a huge success then you know!